What is the Jasper Local Immigration Partnership?
The JLIP is part of a Canada wide program to support newcomers in local communities. The JLIP is funded by Immigration, Refugees, and citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Our goal is to make Jasper a welcoming place for all newcomers. We work for systemic and cultural change to help newcomers thrive.
Members of the JLIP include people from community organizations and agencies, businesses, individuals, government and more.
We all play an important role in making Jasper a welcoming place for newcomers. Get involved in the JLIP so we can make Jasper a better place for newcomer settlement!
As an employer, you have the ability to significantly enhance newcomer settlement. Join the JLIP and collaborate with other members to better support newcomers.
Your organization has a role in creating a more inclusive Jasper. Bring your organization's perspective to the JLIP. You can collaborate to make change and increase your capacity to be more welcoming and inclusive.
Residents play an important role in creating a welcoming and inclusive Jasper. Join the JLIP and be a community champion of equity, diversity and inclusion.
Want to be part of the JLIP? Questions?
Objectives of the JLIP
- To bring together diverse groups of stakeholders to work collaboratively toward the creation of a welcoming and inclusive community;
- To engage in community-based research and consultation that will inform the development of strategic and action plans; and
- To improve the coordination of services that newcomers need for successful settlement and integration in Jasper.
The JLIP's vision is a welcoming and inclusive Jasper where immigrants and refugees participate fully in the social, economic, cultural and political life of the community.
The guiding values of the JLIP and Newcomer Network are:
The JLIP strategy is a plan on how we can support newcomers coming to Jasper. We are currently reviewing and updating our Settlement Strategy to reflect the challenges newcomers are facing after the pandemic.
The Strategy at a Glance
The strategy has eight areas to promote successful settlement in Jasper:
- Education, Training and Entrepreneurship
- Access to Services
- Welcoming and Inclusion
- Health and Wellness
- Media Representation
The strategy has specific goals for the each area of focus. The strategy also includes actions for community members, organizations and service providers.
How do we make the JLIP Strategy?
- We interview and survey newcomers to understand their challenges
- We do research to understand our community needs and priorities
- We identify goals and areas of focus based on results
- We develop strategies to meet our goals
How do we put that strategy into action?
The JLIP meets, and finds ways to meet our goals through:
- Community partnerships and collaboration
- Programming and initiatives
- Promoting policy and process change within organizations
What we've done:
Here’s some of the things the JLIP has done to support newcomers in Jasper:
- 2022 Newcomer Survey
- Supports for Ukrainians, including website page and information booths
- Articles on the benefits of Inclusive workplaces shared with employers through Chamber of Commerce Newsletter
- Change Agents trained by JEEC
- Webpage created on newtojasper.ca website with information and links to credential assessment in Canada for newcomers
- Sessions on co-operative business start-up offered in the community
- Settlement and Newcomer Network programming that promotes conversation circles and language sharing events
- Newcomer Network members participating in Website Working Group
- Service Maps created in multiple languages
- Information on running for Municipal Council translated and posted to Municipal website
- JIC representatives at Jasper Economic Recovery Task Force table
- Cultural Kitchens initiative during pandemic
- Newcomer participation in wellness-focused programs and initiatives ex. the Gratitude Tree
- Funding received to support newcomers in accessing mental health practitioners
Get to know Newcomers in Jasper
Learn more about: