The Municipality of Jasper has numerous bylaws to create safe spaces for both residents and visitors. Visit the bylaw directory for a full list, or read the bylaws of interest below.
Bylaws of Interest
Anti Idling Bylaw
- Vehicles are not permitted to be idling. The fine for idling is $100
- Vehicles can idle long enough to defrost the windshield
- Vehicles may idle if they are "working," which includes emergency vehicles and refrigeration vehicles.
Conduct in Public Places
- Yelling, screaming profanities and fighting in a public place are not allowed.
- All dogs and cats require an annual licence.
- Clean up after your dog. Scoop the poop!
- Dogs must be kept on a leash.
- Do not let your animal be a public nuisance by barking or howling and disturbing others.
- You cannot disturb the peace of your neighbour.
- Nuisance means any condition on property that is untidy, unsightly and dangerous to health or which interferes with the use or enjoyment of other lands. For instance, a yard that is full of wrecked or dismantled vehicles, trade waste, tall and uncut weeds interferes with the neighbour’s enjoyment of their own property.
- Illegal dumping includes leaving unwanted furniture by residential garbage bins.
- Cyclists must obey the rules of the road.
- Cyclists cannot ride their bikes on the sidewalk.
- Skateboarding and rollerblading are not permitted in the Central Business District.
- The consumption of cannabis is not permitted in any public place within the Municipality of Jasper.
- Smoking is not allowed in any businesses or on outdoor patios.
- Smoking is not permitted in taxis or other forms of public transport.
- Businesses are encouraged not to use plastic bags.
- Camping is not permitted on any public lands within the Municipality of Jasper; this includes parking a trailer or camper on municipal roads or municipal parking lots.